Re: how to access remote CUPS printer?

On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 11:18 -0400, Amadeus W. M. wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 08:01:21 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> >> And exactly why is it absolutely wrong? It works flawlessly on
> >> my lan. And in fact if I don't make the queues shared on the CUPS
> >> server, they are not automatically seen by the clients. Of course,
> >> I can tell each client separately about the address of the server,
> >> etc. Of course the clients on the lan can print to the server's
> >> printers by default, if the server tells the lan about its printers.
> >> That is, if the printers are marked as shared on the server.
> >> Am I missing something here?
> >>

> > Well I absolutely should not use the word absolutely so loosely. There
> > is not such a thing as marking a printer as shared under CUPS. That is a
> > construct that system-config-printer has brought over from the pre-CUPS
> > era. The printer server sends out browsing information to all the
> > machines on the lan and the clients become aware of the printers
> > available to them from these browsing messages of printers that are
> > available.
>
> So let's not get entangled in semantics. The fedora printer config
> utilities use the term "shared" for all you said above (which is
> correct).
I should just give up. The printer config utilities that use the term
shared do not properly interact with cups.

> > If you use the web interface on the clients you will see the
> > printers on the server which have been browsed. All CUPS printers should
> > be configured using the web interface.
>
> Says who?
>
> > No marking printers as shared is
> > necessary.
> >

> What if I don't want a printer to be seen by some/all clients?
This is a good question aand I need to research a good answer. Right now
all my documentation is boxed up so from memory I am not aware that you
can do this since in cups printers are not shared individually but
collectively.

> The most flexible way to configure the printer is probably by
> editing the config files by hand. At first I thought you were trying
> to suggest a different configuration of the cups server. I see now
> (as I suspected) that you're only suggesting a different interface
> for configuring the same thing. The interface is off topic here.
> The man wants to know how to print from downtown to his home printer.

Cruickshank's Law of Committees: If a committee is allowed to discuss a
bad idea long enough, it will inevitably decide to implement the idea
simply because so much work has already been done on it.