Re: how to access remote CUPS printer?

On Mon, 25 Sep 2006 08:01:21 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:

> On Sun, 2006-09-24 at 17:16 -0400, Amadeus W. M. wrote:

>> > That is absolutely the wrong way to share printers using CUPS. All printers on the same lan as the server can
>> > print to the server's printers by default. No configuration is required.
>> >>

>> > --
>> > Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>>

>> And exactly why is it absolutely wrong? It works flawlessly on
>> my lan. And in fact if I don't make the queues shared on the CUPS
>> server, they are not automatically seen by the clients. Of course,
>> I can tell each client separately about the address of the server,
>> etc. Of course the clients on the lan can print to the server's
>> printers by default, if the server tells the lan about its printers.
>> That is, if the printers are marked as shared on the server.
>> Am I missing something here?
>>

> Well I absolutely should not use the word absolutely so loosely. There
> is not such a thing as marking a printer as shared under CUPS. That is a
> construct that system-config-printer has brought over from the pre-CUPS
> era. The printer server sends out browsing information to all the
> machines on the lan and the clients become aware of the printers
> available to them from these browsing messages of printers that are
> available.

So let's not get entangled in semantics. The fedora printer config
utilities use the term "shared" for all you said above (which is
correct).

> If you use the web interface on the clients you will see the
> printers on the server which have been browsed. All CUPS printers should
> be configured using the web interface.

Says who?

> No marking printers as shared is
> necessary.

What if I don't want a printer to be seen by some/all clients?

The most flexible way to configure the printer is probably by
editing the config files by hand. At first I thought you were trying
to suggest a different configuration of the cups server. I see now
(as I suspected) that you're only suggesting a different interface
for configuring the same thing. The interface is off topic here.
The man wants to know how to print from downtown to his home printer.