Re: network went ape with update??

On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 05:58 +0930, Tim wrote:

> I've been playing with FC5 today, and I don't have a bind-config...
>
> [tim@gonzales ~]$ rpm -qa \*bind\*
> ypbind-1.19-1
> bind-libs-9.3.2-33.fc5
> bind-9.3.2-33.fc5
> bind-utils-9.3.2-33.fc5

Right, that is a bug noted on bugzilla since the last update. as I read
it.

[root@iam media]# locate bind-config
/var/cache/yum/updates/headers/bind-config-9.3.2-20.FC5.i386.hdr
[root@iam media]# rpm -e bind-config
error: package bind-config is not installed

The wrong version got installed or not installed, I dunno. But...

[root@iam media]# rpm -q bind
bind-9.3.2-33.fc5

...this version "9.3.2-33.fc5" of bind-config is supposed to be
installed, and .20 got included in the update process by mistake. I have
no clue exactly what bind-config does, but it sounds an awful like
something I just might need. The promise on the the bugzilla report was
that everyone was to get cracking, damn the torpedo's and update this
soonest to the mirrors to fix this bug.

> I've used the GUI tool for configuring BIND, before (on FC4).  I found
> it a diabolical monstrosity, and you needed to know how to
> hand-configure DNS to know what to do with it, anyway.  So why bother
> with the convoluted tool?

Well, there's all those little decidedly hostile warnings about not
messing with the files to begin with. <g> . But my hostname, domainname
and all of that, plus the domainname showing up on the localhost line,
is that normal?
<grins> Ric

...the Sin of Ignorance, and
...the Sin of Stupidity.