Re: Fedora vs. Ubuntu

Rahul wrote:
Ahem. Thats not true. Yum wasn't written by Red Hat to begin with.
The developer I was referring to was Seth.

Python was chosen by the developer because its easier for many
developers to understand and hack. The presence of many plugins for
Yum can be considered as a result of this.
Recalling postings from the past, Python was thought to be maintained and kept in working order because of programs that RedHat does or did maintain, like up2date. Thanks for the more rational reason related to easier hacking with many developers.

Apt wasn't chosen at that time because it was basically unmaintained and not multi lib capable. Now those reasons are not a roadblock and it is available in Fedora Extras.
I might try apt just to see its performance compared to yum. I preferred yum over apt back when both were used to pull in packages outside of RedHat, before the Fedora/Redhat merge back in RH10 (Fedora Core 1) timeframe.

I'm looking forward to FC6 and the compilation in C, if that is the case for yum. Hopefully the speed is better.

Just the metadata parser. Details at http://rahulsundaram.livejournal.com/7734.html
I'll check out the link you referenced for more details.
Thanks,
Jim

Rahul

--