On 22/09/06, Robin Laing <Robin.Laing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Yuandan Zhang wrote:
> >

> > On 21/09/06, *Yuandan Zhang* <yuandan.zhang@xxxxxxxxx
> > <mailto:yuandan.zhang@xxxxxxxxx >> wrote:
> >

> >     On 21/09/06, *Robin Laing* < Robin.Laing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >     <mailto: Robin.Laing@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
> >
> >         Yuandan Zhang wrote:
> >>  Hope someone can help.
> >>
> >>  I have 512k ADSL broadband and connected to the internet via a
> >         D-Link
> >>  modem/touter. A laptop with XP and everything is fine on that.
> >>  < http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/#> Another laptop
with a
> >         dual boot
> >>  system. I have Win XP (and again everything is fine) and FC5.
> >>
> >>  The problem is when I am surfing the internet under FC5 Linux.
> >         Certain
> >>  sites are fine, but some ( google.com <http://google.com> <
> >         http://google.com>, www.smh.com.au <http://www.smh.com.au>
> >>  < http://www.smh.com.au>, etc,  to name a few) just don't
> >         load, sometime,
> >>  it keeps "looking up ... ' or  'connecting to ...'.   sometime, it
> >>  stoped with ' loading problem ...', most of the time it just
> >         stops after
> >>
> >>  the ethenet connection obtains auto dynemic ip address.
> >>
> >>  Any thoughts anyone? I am using the Firefox 1.5.0.7
> >         <http://1.5.0.7> < http://1.5.0.7>
> >>  browser.
> >>  Yuandan
> >>

> >         Is IPv6 still a problem in FC5?  Is it enabled?  If it is, try
> >         turning
> >         it off.
> >

> > how do i know if ipv6 is enabled? I will try other sugestions later and
> > post output
> > thanks
> >

> I don't use FC5 so if it is different, then someone else may correct me.
>
> In my /etc/modules.conf on FC4 I have
>    alias net-pf-10 off
>    alias ipv6 off
> which may be the same for FC5.
>
> As I understand it, ipv6 can cause problems with DNS servers that are
> not configured to work with V6.
>
> This isn't just a Linux issue.
>
>    http://www.tweakxp.com/article37127.aspx
>
> --
> Robin Laing
>
> --

after turn ipv6 off using 'about:config'. the problem was fixed. thanks a
lot

Hi Yuandan Zhang!

IPv6 is becoming more important every day.  In China, Japan, and other
countries of great population and few IPv4 addresses it is very
important.

The problem usually is that a modem has an improperly implemented IPv6
DNS nameserver within it and that gets included in /etc/resolv.conf as
the primary DNS nameserver.

At home I run a static IP and use a DHCP supplied (from a past run)
nameserver the modem gave me in the past (an alternate, not the
modem's IP).  This is very stable.

To test the concept, edit /etc/resolv.conf and look for a nameserver
on the DSL modem's subnet (it is probably 192.168.0.1).  Add a "# " to
it's line, write it and try browsing to a new (in the past) hard to
get to site (IPv6 enabled!!).  All we are doing here is taking the bad
DNS server out of use (the browser or whatever trying to resolve names
to IPs never see it).

The above fix will not be stable if you are using DHCP because anytime
the lease is renewed or you do a cold boot the resolv.conf will be
rewritten from dhclient.d.  You may be able to change this in
dhclient.conf but I was looking at re-writing the script.

Faulty modems tend to work with MS products because the modem
developers were using their faulty development kits (I hate that!).
The Linux folk simply did their best to follow the actual standard.

Good hunting!

Tod