    <mailto:amckinley03@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

     >>> symbol:

    <http://wiki.linux.duke.edu/YumFaq>

     >>> far as
     >>> fact I

     >>> before I

     >>> regressed to
     >>> When I

     >>> matches

     >>> what
    CLI).
     >>> If it
    I got
     >>> really
     >>> python.

     >>> principles.

     >>> So which python is first in your PATH?
     >>>
     >>> $ which python

     >>> Was the commercial app that you believe to be the culprit installed
     >>> using RPM?
     >>>
     >>> Paul.
     >>>
     >>> --
     >>

     >> Hi Paul,
     >>
     >> [alastair@d6173 alastair]# which python
     >> /usr/bin/python
     >> [alastair@d6173 alastair]#
     >>
     >> The App I believe to be the culprit was installed with a shell
    script.  I
     >> didnt look at it closely and now its disappeared!
     >

     > Earlier in the thread it appeared that root was getting python
    2.4.3 and
     > your regular user account was getting python 2.4.1. So what's the
    output
     > of "which python" when run from your regular account?
     >
     > Paul.

    What do you get when you
      echo $PATH
    from a terminal window?

    If there is a "python" path listed, then you have to find where that is
    being added.  Check your local configuration files.  I do this with
       grep PATH ~/.*
    which only returns .bash_profile.

    The commercial application may work after changing the PATH if it hasn't
    written over your newer python some how.

    --
    Robin Laing

echo $PATH gives:

/usr/kerberos/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin

So there is no python path. I was about to no rpm -e --nodeps python but does rpm not use python?
Is there any other way I can force python to reinstall?

Best regards,

Alastair

This isn't getting you far is it.

I am not sure about rpm but I know yum uses python.

Taking a breath I would do an

   rpm -qa |grep python

to get a list of all the python packages installed. On my FC4 machine at work, I have 39 packages with python in the name.

Then I would run

   rpm -V {package name}

on the packages to see what packages have errors. This will narrow down what package is having issues. Them maybe you will only have to worry about repairing a few packages with force.

The last time I ran into a problem like this was moving from RH8 to FC1. The upgrade left a lot of little problems.

--
Robin Laing