Re: Evolution + LDAP Question

On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 10:02 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-09-20 at 13:26 +0800, Chong Yu Meng wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I'm trying to get Evolution to display all the person objects that are
> > listed inside my OpenLDAP server. Currently, I have only 5 person
> > objects, so performance is not an issue.
> >
> > I can establish a connection to the LDAP server, and I can authenticate
> > successfully. But after setting up the Address Book, it displays no
> > contacts. If I specify a search for one particular person, it displays
> > the information correctly. However, I want to be able to display all the
> > person objects inside the LDAP server. Is there some configuration I
> > need to set on the LDAP server? What is the proper search syntax to
> > display all the person objects?
> >
> > Thanks in Advance !
>

> > http://www.yolinux.com/
>
> Go there and try this! It might be your answer! I'm just trying to get
> ldap to work at all, it keeps blowing up. <grins> Ric

Thanks Ric ! That site gives a pretty good introduction to LDAP --
unfortunately, I found it too simplistic. I had to glean my knowledge
about LDAP tools and setup and tuning from over 2 dozen different sites
and a book I borrowed from the local library. Not as easy as it looked
originally. And the error messages are wonderful -- either too much
information or not enough.

Anyway, I've almost got everything working here. Got a pretty complex
setup going: extended the schema to support Thunderbird and now trying
to get Evolution to play nice.

Why don't you ask your questions here? Some people here who have been
through the pain may be able to help you get setup less painfully.

--
Pascal Chong
email:  chongym@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

"La science ne connaît pas de frontière parce que la connaissance
appartient à l’humanité. et que c’est la flamme qui illumine le monde."

-- Louis Pasteur