Re: problems in installing realtek 8139 network card

Charles Curley wrote:
On Sat, Sep 16, 2006 at 11:38:41AM -0400, G.Wolfe Woodbury wrote:
neat is an alias for system-config-network.
... and I have used neat.
It may be that it's old enough to be an ISA-PNP card, and that won't
show up in lspci.

Good point; I forgot about that
To clarify that - I bought the card a couple of weeks ago, so it is brand new

Charles:

Check the BIOS to be sure that the Realtec card isn't being
ignored. Some BIOSes show a list of hardware found during boot. You
may also have to go into the BIOS setup and make sure it isn't being
ignored.

I did intercept the bios during bootup, but this bios shows no such list as far as I could see.

Charles:
Try swaping the two cards. Just a hunch and a bit of magic incantation
that sometimes works.

Yes, I have also thought about that. I'll do that tomorrow. What else could it be when the system seems not to discvover the presence of this card? Well, I don't quite know, but its definitely worth a try.

Check dmesg to see if the kernel detects an ISA card, and then try
configuring it via the s-c-network utility
No reference to ISA came up when using dmesg.

Brgds
PA