Re: Triple boot:XP,ubuntu&FC5 grub failed

Tod Merley wrote:
On 9/8/06, Mike McCarty <Mike.McCarty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Ah. If GRUB isn't in the MBR, but, for example, hda1, then what's in the
> MBR?

Whatever you put into it. On my machine, it's Microsoft's MBR.

Mike
--

Hi again Mike!

I am thinking of recommending this structure to a friend wanting to do
CentOS/XP.  I think it is a good idea since I keep hearing about XP
and associated "security" and machine management SW scanning the MBR
and using a copy (of the original installed XP MBR) if they see a
change.

I've got a Presario (Compaq/HP) which, if it sees a change, wants
to do "recovery". I fiddled with this and that, and eventually
decided that the best setup for me is to let the MicroSoft
MBR load up the XP Boot Manager, and let the XP Boot Manager
load GRUB from the BR of my Linux Boot Partition. GRUB *cannot*
load XP on my machine, full stop. XP *can* load GRUB on my
machine, full stop.

Does the above sound good?

IMO, it's a matter of what works well for your setup. What
I have works well for my machine. I have no axe to grind
with MicroSoft, or anyone else.

On the one hand I feel kind of manipulated, on the other hand who
cares as long as it works.  GRUB does offer some "fall back" features
but other than that it appears to add nothing to the mix.

Well, it can load Linux directly (with some kludges) which the
XP Boot Manager cannot. OTOH, the MicroSoft MBR can load my
XP Boot Manager directly, which GRUB cannot.

You are appreciated!

That's nice to hear.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.