Re: How to get fan to run?

On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 22:29 -0400, Andrew Robinson wrote:
> My eMachines laptop freezes in FC5. I strongly suspect that FC5 is
> never turning on the cooling fan and the laptop is overheating.

I can't see that being the case.  Normally, the fan would have to be on,
by default, and perhaps offer optional control (spin downs when cold, or
hibernating, for instance).  You can turn on a computer and all the fans
will run, without there being any OS running or even installed.

I can imagine that perhaps you're running something that can control the
fan, and it's turning it off (rather than not turning it on, and there's
an important distinction in that), maybe because you've got a
temperature sensor out of calibration (reporting that the computer is
cold, and doesn't need the fan).

I read messages from the public lists.