Re: Spam on the Rise. Any new tips?

This is a thread from the same question I asked on the spamassassin mail list.

Has anyone gotten the 3 fore mentioned milters working together?

SA and clam work but greylist does nothing.  no errors, no added
headers just nothing.

if i take out clamav from the mc then greylisting works and SA works
but not all three together.

parts of sendmail.mc in question. (in order)

greylist:
INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`greylist',
`S=local:/var/lib/milter-greylist/run/milter-greylist.sock')dnl
define(`confMILTER_MACROS_CONNECT', `j, {if_addr}')dnl
define(`confMILTER_MACROS_HELO', `{verify}, {cert_subject}')dnl
define(`confMILTER_MACROS_ENVFROM', `i, {auth_authen}')dnl

clam-milter:
INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`clmilter',
`S=local:/var/run/clamav-milter/clamav.sock, F=, T=S:4m;R:4m')dnl
define(`confINPUT_MAIL_FILTERS', `clmilter')

SA:
INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`spamassassin',
`S=local:/var/run/spamass-milter/spamass-milter.sock, F=,
T=C:15m;S:4m;R:4m;E:10m')dnl

sry if this is too much of a sendmail centric question - I thought i
would w/ the server admins here first.

thx

Reply	Forward

Ron Snyder
to me, Spamassassin
	 More options	  Aug 3
SA and clam work but greylist does nothing.  no errors, no added
headers just nothing.

Why would you expect headers from greylist? Here's the evidence that
shows up that the greylisting did it's thing:
Aug  3 00:37:56 mailgate sendmail[29267]: k730bkG7029267: Milter:
to=<myuser@xxxxxxxxxxx>, reject=451 4.7.1 Please try again later
(TEMPFAIL)

Here are the relevant lines from my .mc
INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`relaydelay', `S=local:/var/run/relaydelay.sock,
F=,T=S:1m;R:2m;E:3m')
INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`clmilter', `S=local:/var/run/clamav/clmilter.socket,
F=,T=S:4m;R:4m')
INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`spamassassin', `S=unix:/var/run/spamass.sock,
F=T,T=C:15m;S:4m;R:4m;E:10m')

You might need to check your maillog file to really get to the bottom of
why it doesn't seem to be working.

Reply	Reply to all	Forward	Invite Ron to Gmail

Bazooka Joe
to Ron, Spamassassin
	 More options	  Aug 3
Thanks, I think I got it - i noticed you didn't have the clamav line
define(`confINPUT_MAIL_FILTERS', `clmilter')
so i took it out and clamav-milter seems to be working fine w/ out it.

re: headers - milter-greylist writes a new header line "Sender IP
whitelisted, not delayed by milter-greylist-1.6..." or whatever.

what do you use for the delay or wait time and auto whitelist time?

thx
chris

On 8/3/06, Ron Snyder <ron.snyder@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> SA and clam work but greylist does nothing.  no errors, no added
> headers just nothing.

Why would you expect headers from greylist? Here's the evidence that
shows up that the greylisting did it's thing:
Aug  3 00:37:56 mailgate sendmail[29267]: k730bkG7029267: Milter:
to=<myuser@xxxxxxxxxxx>, reject=451 4.7.1 Please try again later
(TEMPFAIL)

Here are the relevant lines from my .mc
INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`relaydelay', `S=local:/var/run/relaydelay.sock,
F=,T=S:1m;R:2m;E:3m')
INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`clmilter', `S=local:/var/run/clamav/clmilter.socket,
F=,T=S:4m;R:4m')
INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`spamassassin', `S=unix:/var/run/spamass.sock,
F=T,T=C:15m;S:4m;R:4m;E:10m')

You might need to check your maillog file to really get to the bottom of
why it doesn't seem to be working.

Reply	Reply to all	Forward

Ron Snyder
to me, Spamassassin
	 More options	  Aug 3
re: headers - milter-greylist writes a new header line "Sender IP
whitelisted, not delayed by milter-greylist-1.6..." or whatever.

Huh! I don't think I've ever noticed that-- I'll have to go see if I can
find that, maybe it will serve some additional purpose in a spamassassin
rule.

what do you use for the delay or wait time and auto whitelist time?

Unfortunately, I had to disable the default "delay all triplets that
you've never seen before", because we had too many (misconfigured, IMO)
other sites with extremely abnormal queue retry periods (12 hours? give
me a break!), and that created a lack of faith in our email system
despite the huge spam reduction that resulted.

While it was set up to delay, I found that 5 minutes was very
sufficient.

On 9/5/06, Thom Paine <painethom@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 9/5/06, Bazooka Joe <fastfish@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I had same problem my solution was...
>
> (in order of incomming email)
> 1. milter-greylist set @ 2 min wait

This is one thing that I couldn't get to work in my sendmail config.

Can someone post the line that makes this work?

Thanks.

And thanks for the replies.

--
-=/>Thom