Re: What are /net and /srv and /misc for?

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006, Ric Moore wrote:

On Sun, 2006-09-03 at 13:13 -0400, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

In the future, global server files will go in /srv.  So /var/www will
become /srv/www, etc.  /var will be reserved for files that need to be
writable by the running system--locks, pid files, spools, etc.

As I was away for awhile, I was surprised to find apache html stuff
under /var/www instead of /home/httpd/html
/srv makes a lot more sense, keeping public html and cgi-bin files away
from the logs and lockfiles. Should we start re-locating now? Ric

This change is part of the Linux File System Hierarchy Standard http://www.pathname.com/fhs/.

In general, it couldn't hurt, but relocating is complicated a bit by SELinux. (It's not that hard to fix, but you need to have a recipe or know a little bit about what you are doing. I'm not much help in this case.)

The change is supposed to be imminent. Could anyone testing FC6 tell us if it's been implemented there?

--
		Matthew Saltzman

Clemson University Math Sciences
mjs AT clemson DOT edu