What are /net and /srv and /misc for?

I see /net was created by something on my FC5 system,
but it isn't owned by any rpm and it is empty.

I see /srv (another empty directory) is owned by
the filesystem-2.3.7-1.2.1 rpm, and /misc
is owned by autofs-4.1.4-29

I'm setting up backups for my system and wondering if
these guys need backing up (I already know I probably
shouldn't fool with /proc, /sys, and /dev).

Speaking of backups, the only way I've though of
to exclude NFS and cdrom and such is to go through
the output from "mount" and build rsync exclude
patterns for all non-local hard disk mounts.
Is there an easier way to tell rsync "only
local hard disks"?