Re: What are /net and /srv and /misc for?

On Sun, 3 Sep 2006, Tom Horsley wrote:

> I see /net was created by something on my FC5 system,
> but it isn't owned by any rpm and it is empty.
>
> I see /srv (another empty directory) is owned by
> the filesystem-2.3.7-1.2.1 rpm, and /misc
> is owned by autofs-4.1.4-29
>
> I'm setting up backups for my system and wondering if
> these guys need backing up (I already know I probably
> shouldn't fool with /proc, /sys, and /dev).
>
> Speaking of backups, the only way I've though of
> to exclude NFS and cdrom and such is to go through
> the output from "mount" and build rsync exclude
> patterns for all non-local hard disk mounts.
> Is there an easier way to tell rsync "only
> local hard disks"?

Look at the '-x' option for rsync. Run seperate rsyncs for any additional
mounted partitions that you *do* want to backup. In a default FC5 install
that should not be very much.

--
Benjamin Franz

"It is moronic to predict without first establishing an error rate
 for a prediction and keeping track of one’s past record of accuracy."
                    -- Nassim Nicholas Taleb, Fooled By Randomness