Re: Gnome Disapeared from the boot menu

On 8/31/06, Jim Cornette <fc-cornette@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Guillermo Garron wrote:
>> If gnome is messed up, running
>> yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"
>> might pull in the missing pieces.
>>
>> I tried it on my system and only gnome-screesaver and hal-gnome was
>> pulled in. I canceled the upgrade request and just installed hal-gnome.
>> The one package is intentional. The other does not have a bad reputation
>>   yet for me.
>>
>> Anyway, it will not reinstall already installed rpms, just the missing
>> rpms.
>>
>> Jim
> Thank you Jim
>
> I think i have found the problem, yesterday i have installed and
> deinstalled some programs (in order to make yum update faster) and i
> think i messed up the whole think
> look at this below (comes from my WatchLog)
>
> .. Lots of rpms removed

It looks like you thinned down the installation quite a bit. You still
might be able to recover from this with a group install.

Of course, you might just reinstall and unselect packages that you want
to slim and pick the packages that you do want to install.

This defeats your goal to speed up yum though. You probably will be
better off running yum grouplist and picking the groups that you want.
Then follow-up with the groupinstall option.

Once yum grabs the packages, yum should only grab the latest packages
and the updates will not be very large. (Usually)
Thanks Jim,

guillermo