Re: Gnome Disapeared from the boot menu

Guillermo Garron wrote:
Hi all,

I have just missed my Gnome from the boot menu, i only have KDE as option,

any clues?
sorry i can not give you any more details, but i really don't know
where to start.

Will i have to remove and reinstall all Gnome? hope not it will take
my lot of time on the internet :(

regards,

Guillermo.

You can use 'switchdesk gnome' in a terminal as a regular user to switch the default desktop to gnome.

Regarding the missing entry for gnome in the display manager, the problem most likely is within the display manager itself. There are three that I know of, xdm, gdm and kdm. I believe removing gdm will make kdm as the display manager.

If gnome is messed up, running
yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"
might pull in the missing pieces.

I tried it on my system and only gnome-screesaver and hal-gnome was pulled in. I canceled the upgrade request and just installed hal-gnome. The one package is intentional. The other does not have a bad reputation yet for me.

Anyway, it will not reinstall already installed rpms, just the missing rpms.

Jim

--
All warranty and guarantee clauses become null and void upon payment of invoice.