Re: Adding FC5 to an XP computer -

Bob Goodwin wrote:
I'm about to add an 80G sata second drive to a Dell 2.8G XP computer that I wish to boot to both Linux and Windows XP. I have the FC5 DVD from which I intend to do the install.

What do I need to know before I start? XP Home is already installed and I have no way to reinstall it, no o/s CD's are provided. There will probably be choices for locating boot and grub, what is best to do there?

Any suggestions, reference material, etc. appreciated.

Bob Goodwin

Here's something I learned kind of the hard way. If you have a system that comes with a pre-built rescue partition (I know HP is notorious for this, which is where I had my problem), you might wind up having the rescue partition wipe the MBR after you install FC5 if you install grub to the MBR. The rescue partition thought that the MBR changes were virus related so it wiped it clean and kept me from booting FC until I fixed it.

--
Ceterum censeo, Carthago delenda est.

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator