Re: [Fedora] Re: Non-SMP on SMP hardware

Hendrik Strydom wrote:
You may have success by adding
isolcpus=1
to the kernel command line, which should limit your system to using
CPU#0.
That didn't work. It gets stuck at the same exact line of output every time:

   CPU 1 irqstacks, hard=c0422000, soft=0402000

Now, please keep in mind that I'm not 100% certain whether it is actually trying to access a second CPU or not. All I'm seeing is that it finds CPU0 and displays what the kernel normally does then it quits on that line. When I look for that same line on any of my single CPU machines, it's always 'CPU 0 irqstacks...' On this trouble machine it says 'CPU 1 irqstacks...' That's what makes me think it's trying to boot a second CPU which isn't present in the machine.

Alternatively you could boot from floppy, chroot to the installed root
and manually add a non-smp kernel from the NFS mounted source with rpm
-i.
How would you suggest I go about doing that? The floppies that I have are for installing the OS and will start the installer if I boot off of them. Is there another floppy image that gives me the ability to get on the machine, configure one of the ethernet cards to where I can pull the kernel from the NFS onto the machine (through rpm)?

--
W | It's not a bug - it's an undocumented feature.
 Ashley M. Kirchner <mailto:ashley@xxxxxxxxxx>   .   303.442.6410 x130