Installing FC-5 with LVM

I recently acquired a large (300GB) disk for my SCSI machine,
and decided to install FC-5 on it.
I wasn't sure how to partition such a large disk,
so decided to use LVM.

I worked out what LVM "partitions", or rather logical volumes, I wanted,
and created a Logical Group (on /dev/sdb6) with these LVs.

However, when I installed FC-5 these LVs were all deleted,
and two LVs - for / and swap - created instead.

I'm going to shrink the 250GB LV allotted to /
but I don't understand why FC-5 does not allow me
to specify how I want my disk organized.

Incidentally, I didn't find the official LVM-HOWTO
at <http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/>
very helpful.
At least half of it was concerned with LVM1,
or how to move from LVM1 to LVM2,
while LVM2 has been out for several years now, I think.
Of the remaining half, at least one half of this
was taken up with compiling LVM,
an exercise which I imagine only a tiny fraction of Linux users
would indulge ib.

The short section on shrinking LVs only mentioned ext2, not ext3.
I found the unofficial LVM-HOWTO
at <http://www.hccfl.edu/pollock/AUnix1/LVM.htm>
far more useful.

I don't mind the installation suggesting a partitioning scheme,
but I think it ought to allow users to decide for themselves.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366