Bringing Up Wireless Connections Automatically

How do I get Fedora Core 5 to automatically detect and set up my wireless connection? I can see that it detects the Broadcom 43xx (I think it's a 4316) integrated wireless controller, but the runlevel 5 scripts don't actually detect and configure the connection with the essid and encryption key, then do a dhcp call to get an IP address, the host name, and the DNS information.

If I do this manually in a terminal as root:

iwconfig eth1 essid hummr
iwconfig eth1 key open xxxx...
dhclient eth1

The wireless connection comes up and Firefox can visit websites etc. But I have 2 problems:

The hostname isn't changed from localhost.localdomain to the one I want for this machine (it should be supplied by my dhcp server) I'm only getting an 11 Mbps bitrate and I know this wireless connection can do 54.

and perhaps a third issue:

The connection doesn't seem able to scan for available wireless networks, either.

Thanks for any advice that can be supplied. I did look for this information on fedorafaq.org and fedora.redhat.com. I also Googled.

Bob Cochran