More caching-nameserver observations -

*I just tried copying addresses from pages already visited with Firefox, then doing "dig some url" and found that as far as the nameserver is concerned nothing appears to be saved when a URL is accessed with Firefox? Once "dig" is done access is much faster, not what I expected?

dig http://www.washingtontimes.com/world/20060824-115149-7379r.htm

Produced the following:

;; Query time: 916 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Fri Aug 25 15:50:54 2006
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 155

;; Query time: 55 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Fri Aug 25 15:50:59 2006
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 155

Any thoughts on what is happening, what I've not done right?

I spent much of yesterday experimenting with "Berry Linux," a really impressive "live FC5" but could not get "caching-nameserver" working with it, on the 2.8 gHz Dell computer. However the initial dns response times looked about the same as they do on this old 450 mHz PIII.

Bob Goodwin*