Re: Bug in Graphical Network Configuration???

Thanks

I have seen similar things where system-config-smaba was messing up
the configuration in FC4 machine. It needed the hand editing of samba
configuration.

Again, they don't...  The hosts file only has any bearing on the machine
it's on.  It has nothing to do with other PCs.  You can do what you like
to the hosts file on a machine, and it has no bearing on anything other
PC.

Just think of it as having a pocket phone book in your pocket.  You've
got a list of friend's names and numbers.  It's only of any bearing to
you as you dial them.  If you have the wrong information, you're not
going to connect.  It's not going to stop any of those friends from
calling each other, your notes don't determine their names and numbers,
nor would writing your own details down incorrectly stop them from
calling you.

Sorry, you are consistently mentioning that /etc/hosts file have
nothing to do but I have just tested editing the file and change my
host name to "zeenet.local.org". Reactivating the network
automatically changed the HOSTNAME= in  /etc/sysconfig/network file.
So how is that?

Next , I am bit confused with TCP/IP network and Samba thing messing
up. If I remove my "zeenet" alias, other windows machines in the LAN
can't reach my FC4 box. So it seems like alias is very important to
Samba (NetBIOS based network).