Re: removing old Kernels

Greetings Paul,

Paul Howarth wrote:
There hasn't been a kernel-source RPM in Fedora for quite a while now;
the kernel has a regular SRPM just like every other package.

To be honest i was missing that part .

I have not compiled a kernel in awhile. I seem to recall doing this on the vanilla kernel source. After you compile the rpm, you could remove
it with the usual rpm -e  <kernel-custom> command.

You could try make rpm.
No rule to make target rpm . Do you by any chance mean ,
rpmbuild ? rpmbuild will fail because the top level directory doesn't have the spec file needed to do the job .

Anyway what do i have to loose if i just go ahead without using
an rpm and compile the kernel the old fashioned way . I don't understand the problem to the stability of the system if the rpmdatabase isn't aware of the kernel being running.

If you manually remove files that are "owned" by an RPM then your system
will be in an inconsistent state; if you use RPM (or yum) to install
something then you should use RPM (or yum) to remove it.

I guess you mean that even if updatedb finds that an "owned file" isn't there any more the broken dependency will remain , so the problem will remain , untill you uncover it and patch
the broken dependency , if things don't break apart in between .

If you have built and installed your kernel manually then you should
remove it manually (but don't forget that most of the kernel lives
under /lib/modules rather than in /boot).
Couldn't have said things better .

If you are running a custom kernel that RPM does not know about then you
may have some dependency issues with userland tools such as systemtap
that have dependencies or conflicts with specific kernel versions.

Well this part i was missing . I have been running custom kernels ( manually built ) for the last couple of years and never came across such a problem ( or if i did , i didn't understood it ) . Still your note
remains entirely valid .
Paul.