Re: removing old Kernels

Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:
Greetings Jim,

Jim Cornette wrote:
Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:
Greetings Brian ,

< snip >

Is it possible to run make rpm and get a compiled version of the kernel?

I will fail you on that . All i can suggest is this . Get the kernel-source-version.rpm . This is essentially the "rpm version of the
tarball" . Then run rpmbuild --rebuild and make the kernel rpm .

I think I ran the make xconfig, pick the desired kernel options and save the file. I then ran make on the other steps with making the image and modules, installed the modules and then ran make rpm (or RPM, I cannot recall exactly.) It might have been from a redhat source rpm but I thought I was doing this with the vanilla source.
Too bad it was  not from the vanilla source file.

I have not compiled a kernel in awhile. I seem to recall doing this on the vanilla kernel source. After you compile the rpm, you could remove
it with the usual rpm -e  <kernel-custom> command.

You could try make rpm.

No rule to make target rpm . Do you by any chance mean ,
rpmbuild ? rpmbuild will fail because the top level directory doesn't have the spec file needed to do the job .

No, this was just compiling the kernel from source. I downloaded the vanilla source to see if I can still remember how to compile the kernel, plus my curiosity regarding the make rpm. Is there by chance an rpm directory in the tree where you need to be in as the CWD before the script works? Anyway, I'll examine the source file to see if I can recall to where the make rpm was from.

Anyway what do i have to loose if i just go ahead without using
an rpm and compile the kernel the old fashioned way . I don't understand the problem to the stability of the system if the rpmdatabase isn't aware of the kernel being running.

The rpm database should not realize any non-rpm packaged files on your system. I don't think rpm checks for the running kernel before removing an rpm. It just checks for installed rpms and checks dependencies of rpm installed packages.

sorry for the false lead.

Jim

Kostas

--
Iles's Law:
	There is always an easier way to do it.  When looking directly