Re: cannot mount cdrom as user after fc4 to fc5 yum upgrade (fixed)

James Wilkinson wrote:

Thanks Dave and James for the help. Things are working correctly now.

David G. Miller wrote:
Chances are the upgrade process just rewrote your /etc/fstab file. Add the keyword "user" or "managed" to the mount options column for the cdrecorder in fstab. It should look something like:

I believe the file was left as FC4 set it up. Attached is the fstab file that gave me troubles. I commented out the whole line related to /media/cdrecorder and discs mounted using the label info to make the mount point. fstab-sync setting this up and FC5 not using the entry at all to deal with cdroms must have caused the problem.

/dev/hdb       /media/cdrecorder       auto    pamconsole,exec,noauto,user 0 0

or

/dev/hdb     /media/cdrecorder      auto    pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0

I think managed relies on the automounter while "user" lets the user
mount and the same user unmount the drive.  User the "users" mount
option if you want to allow any user to unmount the drive even if they
weren't the user who originally mounted it.  Hopefully, someone else
will chime in with how "managed" really works.

There was an entry for the floppy that had managed resulting from fstab-sync days. I needed to remove managed and add users for this to work for the user to mount floppies. Thanks for the pointers.

Well normally in FC5, it doesn't. "managed" used to mean that fstab-sync
could add and remove stuff at will (for example, if the CD drive was
removed from the machine).

Leftovers from fstab-sync was the problem. Thanks for the pointer. There is no fstab-sync program any longer on FC5. I don't know if there was for FC4. If so, it was removed when the yum upgrade completed its tasks.

These days it should be a combination of HAL and gnome-mount that
handles removable devices, and they won't use /etc/fstab at all. So on a
new install (or on an upgrade using the DVD) there shouldn't be any
/dev/hdb line in /etc/fstab.

That was the problem. Commenting out the line allowed the user to mount and eject the device.

What does
rpm -V udev hal hal-gnome gnome-mount
return?

These were the same as FC5 latest updates.

Thanks,
Jim

James.

--
I've enjoyed just about as much of this as I can stand.
# This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details