Re: cannot mount cdrom as user after fc4 to fc5 yum upgrade

David G. Miller wrote:
> Chances are the upgrade process just rewrote your /etc/fstab file.  Add the
> keyword "user" or "managed" to the mount options column for the cdrecorder in
> fstab.  It should look something like:
>
> /dev/hdb                /media/cdrecorder       auto
> pamconsole,exec,noauto,user 0 0
>
> or
>
> /dev/hdb                /media/cdrecorder       auto
> pamconsole,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
>
> I think managed relies on the automounter while "user" lets the user
> mount and the same user unmount the drive.  User the "users" mount
> option if you want to allow any user to unmount the drive even if they
> weren't the user who originally mounted it.  Hopefully, someone else
> will chime in with how "managed" really works.

Well normally in FC5, it doesn't. "managed" used to mean that fstab-sync
could add and remove stuff at will (for example, if the CD drive was
removed from the machine).

These days it should be a combination of HAL and gnome-mount that
handles removable devices, and they won't use /etc/fstab at all. So on a
new install (or on an upgrade using the DVD) there shouldn't be any
/dev/hdb line in /etc/fstab.

What does
rpm -V udev hal hal-gnome gnome-mount
return?

James.

--
New address: james  | It's fair enough for a surgeon to refuse to operate on
@aprilcottage.co.uk | someone who won't stop smoking: you've got to give the