Re: A basic 'newbie' question

On Tuesday 22 August 2006 03:43, Keith Powell wrote:
> On Tuesday 22 August 2006 3:49 am, Jack Gates wrote:
> > > but I am capped as to how much I can download each month.
> >
> > That sucks!
>
> A brief explanation.
>
> Here in the UK, generally speaking, the cheapest broadband allows
> 1GB a month data transfer, at a slow rate. Pay more each month, and
> you can increase the data transfer to 2GB, 4GB and so on until
> there is no limit on the amount. Then, for a greater cost, this is
> repeated but with a fast download rate.
>
> So, it's a case of decided how much one can afford to pay each
> month (bearing in mind all the other bills!).
>
> It's pointless paying for, say, 6GB each month when that amount is
> probably only needed once every six months to download a new
> version of a distro.

So what is the range of the rate there?

The cable Internet provider here (in my area) has a flat rate per
month with no limit on bandwidth and a download speed from 286KB/sec
to 5MB/sec. $25USD/month to $65USD/month.  I am on 3MB/sec at
$45USD/month.  It takes about 4 hours to download 5 FC ISO files.

--
Jack Gates http://www.morningstarcom.net