Re: Postfix SMTP AUTH Problem

Ankush Grover wrote:
On 8/22/06, Chong Yu Meng <chongym@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi all,

I am trying to configure SMTP AUTH on an FC5 development system and I'm
seeing something strange and hoping someone can help.

This is my environment:
Postfix version: 2.2.8-1.2
Cyrus SASL: 2.1.21

My Postfix is configured to host virtual domains (cymulacrum.cym and
virago.cym) and delivers mail via lmtp to Cyrus IMAP. The authentication
system I am using is not PAM but sasldb2. I have created the following
accounts inside sasldb2:

[root@aeonflux log]# sasldblistusers2
admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: userPassword
tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx: userPassword
dick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx: userPassword
harry@xxxxxxxxxx: userPassword
jill@xxxxxxxxxx: userPassword
admin@xxxxxxxxxx: userPassword
admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx: userPassword
jack@xxxxxxxxxx: userPassword

Now, I have already configured Postfix for SMTP AUTH and I am able to
successfully authenticate with admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, by using:
username: admin
password: admin

But when I try to authenticate using:
username: tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
password: tom (yes, the password is correct -- I'm using weak passwords
because this is for a tutorial I am conducting)

I get an authentication error. I get errors for all the other accounts
except the one above. I suspect that I have to define the realm
somewhere instead of just using the "@domain", but I really don't know
where to begin looking.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

--
hey,

Did you added the sasldb2 to smtpd.conf under /usr/lib/sasl2/smtpd.conf

for example

pwcheck_method: saslauthd
mech_list: plain login

change as per your need  "saslauthd to sasldb2"

You have to configure sasl settings in postfix/main.cf file also

http://www.securitysage.com/antispam/sasltls.html

Also, you can watch /var/log/secure for other clues.