Re: backspace, delete woes

On 20Aug2006 14:20, Michael Hennebry <hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| With FC5, I have a problem I didn't have with FC3.
| When, from an xterm, I ssh to another machine,
| vi on the remote machine does not like my backspace key.
| Control-h  works, but the backspace key generates control-?,
| which I take to be delete=0x7f.

Yep. Most likely you're sending delete to your locate shell too, but its
stty settings accomodate it. Firstly, both locally and remote, what does
"stty -a" tell you about the intr and erase characters?

Xterm seems to have a "backarrowKey" resource that controls whether the
backarrow (which _might_ be backspace) sends ^h or ^?.

More useful would be the "ptyInitialErase" resource (turned on by the
"-ie" command line option) and/or the "backarrowKeyIsErase" resource.
They both default to false, and look like they may be useful if true.

Finally, check out the shell startup files on the remote machine. It is
possible that either you or the system bashrc (and friends) is issuing a
stty command that overrides your settings from the local machine.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

It's a, I say it's a *joke* son.  Don't cha get it?  You're built too short,
the good ones go over yer head. Ya got a hole in yer glove, boy, I keep
pitching them and you keep missing them.  Ya gotta keep yer eye on the ball,
son.  Eye.  Ball.  Eyeball.  I almost had a funny there. Joke, that is.
        - Foghorn Leghorn, as referenced by Dan Sorenson in rec.motorcycles