Re: upgraded FC3 to FC4 and then FC4 to FC5

Ric Moore wrote:

>> > I tried the yum upgrade... never will I do that again.
>>
>> Why?
>
> That machine is still sitting the the corner as it has data that I need
> from it. I did the yum upgrade route, something must have changed or
> gotten changed regards to UDEV, so the machine stalls for about 5
> minutes during re-boot with a UDEV error, until UDEV figures it can just
> go on to boot, and then the machine runs just fine. It's maddening. No
> fix for it in almost a 7 months.
>
> I'll go with a clean install every time now. You have no clue going in
> just what has changed significantly from one release to the next and
> there is no way humanly possible to script an upgrade script to cover
> all possible contingency's... so the odds are something either will
> break or not become upgraded that would be useful. You stand the slight
> risk of losing it all. So, I'd get the data off somewhere safe, make a
> pile of notes about the present installation, save it somewhere, then do
> a fresh install. Then Fedora will spin in greased grooves. Ric

I don't think anyone would try yum upgrade unless they had to.
You can choose the upgrade option with the CDs,
and it will take less than a tenth of the time.

As to upgrade vs clean installation,
what exactly do you mean by "the data"?
I certainly find CD upgrade takes less time than clean install,
if one takes account of all the files one has to change.

Actually, with disk space so cheap nowadays,
I usually run old and new installations for a time.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366