Re: FC5 INstallation Killing Computers

I'm pretty sure that two of these computers were running Windows XP Pro, one was running Windows 2003 Server, and one had been running FC4. I started with the FC4 computer and tried to install FC5. I then went to the other computers. Two years ago, I had these same computers running FC. I presume that the version was FC4. With the first two, I thought that I had had incredibly bad luck. Then I sat and thought for a while. I realized that a common factor was that I had used the same UPS for each installation (not at the same time). I decided that we probably had bad UPS. In fact, I remember (I've been in this field for a while.) a VIC 20 (a predecessor the the Commodore Pet) power supply that was blowing computers. So I plugged another computer into a totally different outlet using just a surge protector. This computer died during the installation, also.

At this point, I got very suspicious of the lab's power. I took the last computer down to my office ( four offices away from the lab) and, with my heart in my throat, started the installation. Again, it failed several minutes into the installation.

I should mention that I swapped a big IDE hard drive into these computers. On the first three computers, I used a 300 GB hard drive we had. For the fourth computer, I purchased a brand new 350 GB hard drive and UPS. I was also moving DVD-R and DVD-RW drives around. These operations were trivial; the DVD drives were on rails and the hard drives were in a cage. I've built computers from scratch and changed a lot of hard drives and drives around. I don't think I did anything dumb like plug all of the drives into the same power line, because I remember telling myself to be careful not to do that, but I'll certainly check this on Monday.

Before I started, I looked around the BIOS to see if I could find a setting to set fans to "always on". I'm really big on cooling. (The college gives me a new notebook every three years. As a computer science professor, they try to get one relatively high powered. Three years ago the notebook had a P4 processor and the cooling system was inadequate. I had occasional motherboard and hard disk failures until I bought a an Antec cooling plate for home and for my office.. The person who supervised students in building these computers had one of these computer, also. Consequently, these have very robust CPU cooling units and lots of fans in the case.

At this point I'm wondering if I had a bad DVD-R or bad DVD-RW that caused the problem. I had two of each, and I'm not sure if one of them could have been in all four computers. Perhaps we had a bad UPS they burned out two computers, including a DVD drive, and I then used the DVD in the next two computers.

I'm really a software person, so I don't have an answer to your last question. That is why I managed to burn out four computers. At first I thought bad UPS, then I thought bad power and went down the hall. Now I'm wondering about a DVD drive. Fortunately, we have a bunch of DVD-R and DVD-RW drives coming in on Monday to upgrade the lab, so I think we'll be tossing the 4 DVD drives.

Thanks to everyone!

John Miller wrote:
Robert Gann wrote:
The strange thing is that all of these computers were working
properly. Three were running Windows XP Pro or Windows Server 2003.
One was running FC4. They all died during the FC5 installation. My
thoughts, in rough order are (1) some problem with the electrical
poser in the room (although three on Windows installations on 32 bit
machines done at about the same time have caused no problems),
So that we can better help, please define "at the same time" for both
the Windows and FC5 installations.  Simultaneous, consecutive, same day, ???

If I had to guess it is going to turn out that the power in our lab
has problems and that Linux is less tolerant of that than Windows.
What would be the technical mechanism by which an operating system could
make a computer less tolerant of power?