From: Tom Brown [mailto:tom@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, August 18, 2006 9:00 AM
To: bedouglas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; For users of Fedora Core releases
Subject: Re: automated installation of rpm/app on a number of client
machines

> there appears to be some kind of mis-understanding regarding my question..
>
> if i have 50 systems.. i'm trying to figure out how to automate the
process
> of installing the rpms across the 50 systems, so i don't have to do it
> manually. i was also saying that the install process might also involve
> creating of users/modifying config files...
>
> if you're implying that i could 'modify' the rpm file, so that the
invoking
> of the rpm would perform these functions, then ok.. maybe.
>
> i'm trying to find out if there's an automated/scripting method for this
> kind of purpose. has anyone actually done this kind of automated action,
and
> if you have, cna you tell me how you did it...

make sure root keys are setup on your hosts so your 'master' box can ssh
into the others without a password.

then

#!/bin/bash
HOSTNAMES=`cat machinelist.txt`

for i in $HOSTNAMES
   do
         ssh $i 'rpm -i /path/to/some.rpm'

   done

that will install the rpm on each host listed in machinelist.txt but of
course the rpm must be on the system first so either have it on a share or

#!/bin/bash
HOSTNAMES=`cat machinelist.txt`

for i in $HOSTNAMES
   do
	scp some.rpm $i:
         ssh $i 'rpm -i /path/to/some.rpm'

   done

would copy it over to the host and then install it

HTH