Re: Install vanilla kernel

Mauriat Miranda wrote:
On 8/16/06, John Wendel <john.wendel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[1] make a directory (in your home directory) to hold the sources, I
called mine "kernel".

[snip]
 > make
 > make modules_install
 > make install

[6] Your new kernel has been installed in /boot and /lib/modules, and
grub has been updated.

If you follow this method, won't you have the (potential) issue that
'/lib/modules/2.6.17/source' and '/lib/modules/2.6.17/build' will be
linked to a location inside your home directory?

While this isn't a serious issue, it makes ~/kernel in your home
directory a NON-temporary location. In that, future drivers or
applications you might compile/install may require headers or other
files from inside there.

-Mauriat

You are correct. This could be a problem, but I believe it is the method recommended by the kernel developers.

I keep the source around until I get the nvidia drivers (the only external module I use) rebuilt and then I delete it. If I need to rebuild against the same kernel sources, I've found the just untarring the sources, patching and running "make oldconfig" is enough so that the modules build correctly.

Normal applications aren't supposed to touch the kernel headers. They should use the RedHat provided headers.

Just lucky I guess.

Regards,

John