Re: keeping kmod-nvidia and kernel upgrades "in sync"

Dr. Michael J. Chudobiak wrote:

Well, yum has all the package dependency info in its metadata, so why can't it apply it both ways (i.e., kernel -> kmod, and kmod -> kernel)?

But more urgently: what's the best way to ensure that you don't have a non-functioning computer in the morning, because of a driver/kernel mismatch? Do I have to exclude kernel and kmod* from yum updates?

- Mike

FWIW, on my FC4 systems, the lack of the livna nVidia module won't stop your computer from working. You will just endup using the nv driver from xorg which works quite well.

I have found that you "cannot" update the nVidia module on my FC4 machine. It requires a removal and then an install of the new module.

When there is a kernel update out, I will wait until the nVidia module is available I install the new kernel, remove the old nVidia modules, install the new modules.

--
Robin Laing