Re: How to customize hardware ethernet settings in FC5?

On 8/10/06, Matthew Saltzman <mjs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 10 Aug 2006, Patrick Doyle wrote:

> I have a somewhat problematic ethernet NIC in my laptop and have found
> that the most reliable way to make it work is to force it to operate
> in 10 Mbps, half duplex mode.  Each morning I arrive at work, attach
> my laptop to the network, boot up, and type
>
> $ sudo ethtool -s eth0 autoneg off speed 10 duplex half
>
> and the network works fine all day long.
>
> Now, I'm getting tired of this, and I think I ought to be able to
> force this configuration somewhere.  The problem is, I haven't the
> foggiest idea where to do it in FC5.  On Debian, I could edit
> /etc/network/interfaces and specify a "pre-up" command.  In FC5, there
> is probably some file in /etc/sysconfig/... that I can edit (either by
> hand, or via a GUI application -- although, I don't see it under
> System|Network...) to change this, I just don't know where to begin to
> look.
>
> Any pointers?

You might use an "options" line in /etc/modprobe.conf.  The options are
documented in kernel-doc.  For example,

     $ more /etc/modprobe.conf
     alias eth0 e1000
     alias eth1 e1000
     options e1000 Duplex=2 Speed=100

Alternatively you can add the line.
"/usr/sbin/ethtool -s eth0 autoneg off speed 10 duplex half"
"/etc/rc.d/rc.local"

Minus the quotes and assuming that ethtool is located in /usr/sbin.  I
do essentially the same thing to set Wake On Lan to on at boot.