Re: Changing Host name help please

On Wednesday 09 August 2006 15:47, Charles Curley wrote:
> E.g: if you have two machines, foo.localdomain and
> bar.localdomain. Bar might have:
>
> 192.168.1.4     foo  foo.localdomain
>
> and foo might have
>
> 192.168.1.42    bar  bar.localdomain
>
> As you can see, the problem grows exponentially as you add
> machines. Now you see exactly the problem that lead to the original
> implementation of DNS.
>
> As to your problem, no other computer ever sees the contents of
> your /etc/hosts, so changing it won't help you. Instead, either use
> DNS, simply use your machine's IP address on the Windows machine,
> or enter your machine in that machine's hosts file.

Here is my part of my trouble.

This came from:

http://www.owlfish.com/thoughts/winipp-cups-2003-07-20.html

by way of Erich Carlson

But I don't understand the info, just like when some one tells in one
form or another to RTFM, I have but it did not make any since.  I
often times need to have something explained through an example that
I can get my head around.  I salute those of you who have learned
difficult stuff at an older age.

<start copy>
Hostname lookup

Another common step is to ensure that hostname broadcast by CUPS is
accessible from the Windows XP machine.  If your CUPS machine is
accessible using a name rather than just an IP address then you don't
need to do anything for this step.  If the CUPS machine is not
accessible via it's hostname then you need to set a mapping between
the CUPS hostname and its IP address in the Windows hosts file.
Under WindowsXP the host file is in C:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC\HOSTS, in Win2k replace WINDOWS with
WINNT.  The format is simple:

# Example hosts entry
192.168.0.3 rock

Under some CUPS server configurations you will be able to use the IP
address instead of the hostname, but often only a hostname will work.
<end copy>

I have no idea if I am configuring the correct files on FC5 or if I am
putting the correct information in the correct format on Win XP.

I am certain that there is a correct simple way to do this networking
stuff.  I just have no idea what it is.

This is where I am in my understanding.

I am in a room with no reference of which way is up and no gravity.
So am I right side up or up side down?  I have no idea!

There is a lot of information about networking and identifying
machines on the network but I have no understanding about what a
correct configuration looks like especially with what I am trying to
do now.  Any changes that I try to do don't seem to work even though
it looks like I am doing what I am supposed to do.  Do any of you
know what I am trying to ask because I sure don't.  Will some one
please tell me which way is up?

--
Jack Gates http://www.morningstarcom.net/