Re: FC5 Laserjet 5L share to Windows XP ?

Jack Gates wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 August 2006 13:27, Erich Carlson wrote:
>
>> This is a good tutorial on setting up windows to cups printers:
>>
>> http://www.owlfish.com/thoughts/winipp-cups-2003-07-20.html

I just used this link last night for printing to my HP OfficeJet
from Windows XP Pro to my FC5 box.

> Thanks for the link.  I don't understand this Hostname thing for the
> CUPS machine.  What exactly does this mean?  How and where do I
> create this Hostname?
>
>From the Windows box, can you reach your FC5 box by name?
such as ping <name>?

I have a 2Wire Home Portal DSL router and had to enter the
name as: <host>.gateway.2wire.net,

So, with my OfficeJet 7130 having the queue name oj7130,
I entered: 'http://<host>.gateway.2wire.net:631/printers/oj7130'
as the network address. If I weren't using the host name it would
be 'http://192.168.1.34:631/printers/oj7130'.

I did install the HP Drivers on the Windows XP box, but I hadn't
enabled the printer to receive the RAW byte stream, so I was still
unable to print until I uncommented the application/octet-stream
lines in the /etc/cups/mime.types and /etc/cups/mime.convs files.

Richard.