Re: UDEV devices go away when not in use, this is not good behavior

Douglas Phillipson wrote:
> When running minicom on FC5 I noticed that when I unplugged my serial
> cable (USB->serial converter) my ttyUSB0 device went away.  After
> plugging it back in the device came back but minicom didn't see it until
> I restarted minicom.   I don't recall this happening under FC4 and I
> don't like that behavior.  Is there a way to stop this, nail up the
> device or something like that?
>
> Regards
>
> Doug P

Every version of udev has worked this way with USB devices. When you
unplug the device, the /dev entry is removed.

When talking about minicom, are you saying that it could not see the
USB serial port when you changed it in the config, or did you expect
minicom to notice that the serial port it was configured to use was
now there? I would not expect minicom to notice that a serial port
that was not there when it started is now there unless you told it
to check for it. Minicom was written before USB support, and it
expects the serial port it is configured to use to be there when the
program is started. You would have to check the change log, but I
don't think it has been updated to handle the way udev works.

Mikkel