Re: Lost sound on my notebook after FC5 upgrade

Joe Klemmer wrote:
On Mon, 2006-08-07 at 07:06 -0500, Marc Schwartz wrote:

	It's not a critical problem, obviously, because it took me months
before I noticed it.  But it would be nice to have sound on those rare
occasions then I might want it.  Any and all help is greatly
appreciated.
[...]
Presuming that you are using GNOME, go into the menus:

	Actually my normal desktop is Xfce (running Xfce 4.4b2) but I have
tried testing everything under both GNOME and KDE with the same results.

System -> Preferences -> Volume Control

Then click on the 'Switches' tab and make sure that the "External Amplifier" check box is checked.

	Done did that again just now and still no luck.  The problem might be
HW related as this eMachines laptop is falling apart (it's only 1 year
and 8 months old!!).  I wish I could afford a new laptop but living on a
fixed income (and being legally homeless to boot) makes things like food
and clothes a higher priority.  :-(

	Thanks for responding, though.

Joe: Still working on sound? You might want to explore low-latency kernel through CCRMA. That would turn your beat-up laptop into state-of-the-art audio/video recording machine. ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/ The mailing list is great for helping solve sound glitches.
Tom
begin:vcard
fn:Tom  Poe
n:Poe;Tom
org:Open Studios
adr:;;1315 Cleveland Avenue;Charles City;IA;50616;USA
email;internet:tompoe@xxxxxxxx
title:Director
tel;work:sip://506167@xxxxxxxxxxx
tel;home:641-228-3271