Re: How to restart alsa?

On Sunday 06 August 2006 05:55, Tony Nelson wrote:
> At 8:10 PM +0200 8/5/06, Nigel Henry wrote:

> >> FWIW, I'm also using FC5, but "locate alsasound" finds no files and "yum
> >> provides alsasound" with the usual repos finds no matches.  There are no
> >> modules with alsa in the name.  Yet sound works here, VIA chipset, AC'97
> >> audio.
> >
> >Hi Tony. Thats interesting. I've just booted up the other FC5 which
> > doesn't have the planetccrma kernel, and the associated
> > kernel-modules-alsa package on it, and your quite right. No
> > /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound. There is an /etc/alsa directory with and
> > alsa.conf file, a cards directory, and a PCM directory, with another few
> > bits, and cat /proc/asound/cards,
> >cat /proc/asound/version, and /sbin/lsmod show that Alsa is installed ok.
> >
> >It must be that installing the planetccrma kernel, and associated
> >kernel-modules-alsa package, that has created the alsasound file.
> >
> >So the question remains. How, if you are using Fedora kernels, do you
> > start and stop Alsa?
>
> Is ainit the thing?  (man 8 ainit, from apropos alsa)
> TonyN.:'                       <mailto:tonynelson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>       '                              <http://www.georgeanelson.com/>

I tried that. Ainit only seems to be dealing with dmix, and dsnoop. I've had
all sorts of sound apps playing with ainit stopped. It's ironic. I've often
had problems not getting the sound working, but never an instance of trying
to stop it, and it won't stop. lol.

Janina has just suggested copying the alsasound script from my FC5 with
planetccrma install, to the FC5 without planetccrma. I'm gonna try that. It
will be an interesting experiment.

Apart from that, it would appear that with FC5 OOTB there is no way to stop,
start, or restart Alsa, apart from shutting down, and rebooting.

As always, I'm willing to be proved wrong, and shot down in flames.

Nigel.