Re: How to restart alsa?

Nigel Henry writes:
> [...]
snip snip ...

> That's odd. I've just been into FC5, presuming that's what your using, to
> check it out, and alsasound is there. I am using a kernel from planetccrma,

Precisely why you have the alsasound service. You're using the CCRMA
kernel, and therefore also the CCRMA alsa-utils, most likely.

In their infinite wisdom, Fedora appears to believe that sound is not a
service, or not something that might require restarts without a reboot.
I find that strange thinking, but they don't ask me. Clearly, CRMA also
believes that sound might require a restart--but that expertise has also
not impressed the Fedora decision makers.

You need a copy of the alsasound script from the CCRMA packages. Just
plop it into /etc/init.d and you'll be good to go with the traditional:

service alsasound start/restart/stop

Janina