Re: ide-scsi problems

> It will work with IDE drives as well. Boot without "hdc=ide-scsi"
> and then run "cdrecord -scanbus" to see what device numbers. The
> version on FC5 will also work with dev=/dev/hdc instead of
> dev=1,0,0. For may laptop, I have to use hdc=noprobe to have DMA
> work correctly on the drive. (SATA drives.) If you use hdc-noprobe
> instead of hdc=ide-scsi, you will still need to change what VMWare
> is using as the CD drive to something like /dev/scd0.
>
> Mikkel

I have done scanbus and it sees my drive as 1,0,0. I have not tried
doing /dev/hdc from cdrecord. hdc=noprobe did not work for me. Saw no
cdrom device at all, and no devices like /dev/scd0.

If I do hdc=ide-scsi I get these devices:
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root        4 Aug  7 11:43 cdrom -> scd6
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root        4 Aug  7 11:43 cdrom-sr0 -> scd0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root        4 Aug  7 11:43 cdrom-sr1 -> scd1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root        4 Aug  7 11:43 cdrom-sr2 -> scd2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root        4 Aug  7 11:43 cdrom-sr3 -> scd3
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root        4 Aug  7 11:43 cdrom-sr4 -> scd4
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root        4 Aug  7 11:43 cdrom-sr5 -> scd5
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root        4 Aug  7 11:43 cdrom-sr6 -> scd6

Maybe that explains why I get 6 icons when a disc automounts, but why is
it creating all of these and not just one? Which one do I point vmware
player at?

If I don't use either hdc=noprobe or hdc=ide-scsi and try to use
cdrecord I get thie error:
TOC Type: 1 = CD-ROM
scsidev: '1,0,0'
scsibus: 1 target: 0 lun: 0
cdrecord: Invalid or incomplete multibyte or wide character. Cannot open SCSI driver.
cdrecord: For possible targets try 'cdrecord -scanbus'.
cdrecord: For possible transport specifiers try 'cdrecord dev=help'.

Using K3B it did in fact record an iso without any additional kernel
parameters. Looking at the debug for k3b it uses dev=/dev/hdc, so as
someone else said that must work ok. I'm ok with using that.

Occasionally I use webmin to burn CDs so I need to figure out how to
change it to use /dev/hdc instead of /dev/cdrom.

Either way I'll use k3b for now.

Thanks for the responses.

James