Re: GNOME hangs

On Sun, 2006-08-06 at 10:49 -0400, Croombe F. Pensom wrote:
> I've also had this problem very recently when GNOME would hang during
> the splash screen with only one ikon on the progress bar. I was given a
> couple of tips by members of my local user's group. They are :
>
> 1) from root do following bash
> rm /tmp/.X10-lock
>
> this worked for me several times
>
> 2) after a while it deteriorated to a black screen with a movable mouse
> pointer and that's all. The suggestion for this cure was : from root do
> following bash
> rm /home/yourhomename/.gnome2/session
>
> this worked also for a while and then it deteriorated even further (see
> below).
>
> How to get to the root? From your frozen GNOME hit CTL-ALT-F1 and this
> will get you into bash and you can then log in as root and do the above
> suggested bash commands.
>
> Eventually, that even didn't work and I was advised to do something
> which turned out to be disastrous so NEVER EVER issue the following from
> a root shell
>
> rm -rf $Home/*

Are you sure you executed the command above ? This would mean you
deleted the /root directory and all its contents. Are you sure you
didn't delete your personal home dir and everything in it ?
Anyway, I guess you've learned your lesson, don't just copy and execute
commands (especially rm commands) from a root shell.

--
eric.donkersloot@xxxxxxxxx
Amsterdam, The Netherlands