Re: Newbie ssh-agent/gnome config question...

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 11:20:51 -0600
Philip Prindeville <philipp_subx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hey Philip,

> For instance, if I want to start ssh-agent that seems to be done for me
> by Gnome already... but I can't figure which start-up script I should
> put ssh-add into to load up my private keys...

No need to edit any scripts manually.  You can use the "Startup Programs"
tab of gnome-session-properties [1] to customize which programs are
launched when you start Gnome.  The files it will create are in your
~/.config/autostart directory.

> Also, how can I add the root password into my keychain at start-up
> (once) so I can do machine administration without being prompted
> later for the root password?

Don't think this is really the way to achieve what you're looking for.

There is work being done to make the administration programs easier to
access and more secure but I don't think those improvements will
arrive until after FC6.

> And if I wanted to startup xload, etc. those used to go into .xinitrc
> (as above), but Gnome does things differently.  Is there a summary of
> what files to use for customization?

Again, this can be done using the gnome-session-properties utility.  However,
instead of xload you might find gnome-system-monitor or gkrellm more useful,
or at least nicer to look at ;o)

Cheers,
Sean

[1] Should be available on your panel menu from:
    System -> Preferences -> More Preferences -> Sessions