Re: audio issues

On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 01:53 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
> Sure sounds like an IRQ conflict there... isn't IRQ 11 where the
> harddrive controller lives? (in the OLD days, I know <chuckles>)

I think it was 14 & 15 traditionally used for the IDE controller.

> Can you get it to IRQ 7 where soundcards are usually are found? If
> your board is old enough, you could enable that pluginplay business
> from the services menu. Someone help me here... I can't remember just
> what the heck has to be turned on for pluginplay.

Playing with some BIOS options might be useful.  Typical options
available in some BIOSs:

      * Plug and play OS - leaves it to the OS to set IRQs
      * non-plug and play OS - the BIOS presets IRQs in some fashion
      * auto - the BIOS presets IRQs in some fashion

I'm not sure how the last two options differ, but they don't preclude
the OS from setting parameters, the BIOS just sets them with some
values, first.

If you have a system that uses plug and play (BIOS, PCI cards, some of
the later ISA cards), simply rearranging which cards are plugged in
where might be in order.  Some PCI/ISA slots share IRQs with each other,
or with on-board hardware.  Some devices don't share nicely.

I read messages from the public lists.