Re: VIDEO_TS.BUP VIDEO_TS.VOB VTS_01_0.IFO VTS_01_2.VOB VIDEO_TS.BUP VIDEO_TS.VOB VTS_01_0.IFO VTS_01_2.VOB VIDEO_TS.IFO VTS_01_0.BUP VTS_01_1.VOB :(

On Friday 04 August 2006 07:38, Heikki Pesonen wrote:

[snip]
> Error: Missing Dependency: perl(Event::ExecFlow) >= 0.62 is needed by
> package perl-Video-DVDRip
> [root@localhost Desktop]#

You have dependencies yum was not able to resolve. Did you invoke it with

# yum install dvdrip

or in some other way? Do you have (for example) Livna repository enabled and
functioning?

> By the way, I have a book "Learning Red Hat Enterprice Linux and Fedora" by
> Bill McCarty I bought 03.07.2006, but nothing of Yum has mentioned there.
> "Yum" is like "sex" when I was young, everybody speaks about it, everybody
> else than I seems to be making it, but where to find information easy to
> understand?

There is not much to it, really.

$ man yum
$ man yum.conf

In short, yum is a program that communicates with on-line
"repositories" (servers that support yum and have multitude of rpm's packaged
for our beloved FC; aside from the default ones I can recommend
www.livna.org) and their mirrors, in order to do a multitude of things, but
most frequently download rpm files, resolve their dependencies, download the
dependencies and install all that to your machine.

It is generally extremely easy to use, provided that (a) you have enough
bandwidth for downloading things and (b) you have it configured correctly. If
you have anything better then a 56kbps modem, you have (a) satisfied.
However, in order to satisfy (b) you have to be aware of several facts, like
what repositories you use/want to use, what mirror is nearest to you, do you
have to use proxy and how to configure it, etc.

Once you have it working, the only thing you need to know is the name of the
package you want to install, and you can get some idea about it using google,
this list or partial-guessing, like

$ yum list packagenam*

or such. There seem to be problems now and then about mixing repositories (two
different repos providing the same package, but being 'out of sync', meaning
that one repo is not aware that there is a newer version of the package out
there, AFAIU), but that goes away with time. Also, I have enabled only base,
extras, updates-released and Livna, and never ever needed anything else.

That's it. I installed dvdrip and xine to my fresh FC4 a year ago simply by
typing

# yum install dvdrip
# yum install xine

and yum took care of "the dependency hell", downloaded everything, and
installed it.

I like to start it from the command-line (never used any GUI) and even spend
some time simply watching it work. ;-)

All in all, I guess Seth Vidal is doing great job... :-)

Best regards, :-)
Marko