Re: Can we get Opera now??

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 19:29:27 -0700, Peter Gordon wrote:
[...]
>> Is this the sort of thing that the Livna folks do?
>
> Yes. As I understand it, the Livna folks package up stuff that is
> legally redistributable, but cannot be included in Fedora proper due to
> patent restrictions or proprietary licensing, etc.

OK; I had supposed the rules were all but identical for Debian and Fedora,
and therefore the free-as-in-what question might've been solved somehow.

Livna would be wonderful.

I've been running Opera even longer than linux -- at least since 4.0 --
and can cope with downloading and installing rpms as I've been doing. But
it would be a lot more convenient to be able to use yum.

In fact, apart from new discoveries of things I hadn't known existed
(which I'm growing increasingly chary of, anyhow), Opera and Pine are
about the only things left, and surely the two big things, that I always
have to add to every new release of Fedora.

We're getting *very* close, at least for people whose uses are much like
mine (lots, I think), to being able to install and have the whole shebang
Just Work. Opera on livna might take that as far as it can go; I'm not
going to hold my breath waiting for an Act of the Washington State
Legislature.

My thanks to all, and here's hoping livna takes up opera!

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Wordcrafty Squirreler
FC5; Pine 4.64, Pan 0.14.2.91; Privoxy 3.0.3; CXO 5.0.1