Re: Youtube killed Epiphany dead

Beartooth wrote:
Not knowing whether this is an Epiphany problem, a Fedora problem, or
possibly a Privoxy problem, I have set followups to
gmane.linux.redhat.fedora.general

I was running Epiphany-2.14.2.1-1.fc5.1 behind privoxy-3.0.3-9.2.1
(unmodified, as installed) under Fedora Core 5. A friend sent me a URL,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j8uefBUOfgA which I put into one of eight
or ten tabs and clicked on.
The video -- a clip of a rather hoky-looking blue-eyed penguin, supposedly
used by a German stand-up comedian named Dieter Nuhr, which turns toward
the camera and works its beak, supposedly uttering a certain vulgarism.
I don't normally do sound, anyway, but decided to try it this time. Never
got any. Tried to open the Preferences dialog : clicked on Edit, then on
Preferences; that word took the highlight -- and everything froze.

I clicked FC5's Force Quit button, and closed Epiphany.

Now clicking the epiphany icon causes the browser to try to start, and
then fail. The command line gets me only this :
[btth@localhost ~]$ epiphany &
[1] 18375
[btth@localhost ~]$
** (epiphany:18354): WARNING **: An error occured while calling remote
method: No reply within specified time

Then, trying the next thing I could think of, as root, got me things way
beyond my comprehension :
[root@localhost ~]# ps ax | grep epiphany
12248 ?        Ssl   21:02 epiphany --sm-config-prefix /epiphany-pXAGFV/
--sm-client-id 117f000001000115067871600000054740017 --screen 0 18381
pts/1 R+ 0:00 grep epiphany [root@localhost ~]#

(I've changed the line ends to get postable length, and moved the new
prompt to its own line, as it is on my terminal.)

I suppose I need to know how and where to get into epiphany from the
command line and get rid of the youtube URL and its tab; do I also need
more? Anything to do to privoxy or Fedora itself??

Looks to me like epiphany is still running, that Force Quit didn't kill it. Try killing 12248 and see if Epiphany will relaunch.

--
Me transmitte sursum, caledoni!

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator