Re: FC4 NIS client problems

Alberto Ferrante wrote:

I also suspected that but haven't verified before writing my first
post... In any case, I have just checked and, no, they seems to start in
the right order (S13 for portmap, S27 for ypbind). I have tried to move
the ypbind server down in the list of services to start (S60) and all
seems to work correctly. I guess this is a problem with some timing...
Sounds like portmap is not fully initialized when ypbind tries to start
in its original position. And this would also explain why on a different
PC all works fine...

It sounds like I will need to modify this on 40 PCs :-((

Thank you again.

Best regards,
	Alberto

Brian D. McGrew wrote:

It sounds like ypbind is starting before rpc.portmap?

We have a similar problem with FC3 and we actually shuffle the order of
some of the scripts in /etc/rc5.d to fix it.  Check out what order your
programs are starting in.

I don't really know nis but have had problems at work. Has there been a change that somehow changed the nsswitch.conf files? We had to change the configuration files due to a change in our network configuration and the ldap servers. All this came out due to a major power outage that took down part of the network.

--
Robin Laing