Re: Removing package and its dependencies

On 8/1/06, Rahul <sundaram@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks, Waqas. Ideally, yum should not act as you describe, as not
> always the same package is necessary for two other different packages.
> I was trying to remove mediawiki and all the packages that were
> installed when mediawiki was installed. Meanwhile, I found that
> synaptic has got the "complete removal" feature that seems to
> correspond to what I was looking for. Thus, I ask: if synaptic is apt
> to perform a complete removal (the package itself and the other
> packages required by it), why is not yum also able to do so?

A similar feature is provided in yum-utils

# yum install yum-utils
# package-cleanup --leaves. Take a look at the other options and
commands too. This isnt exposed in any graphical program that uses yum
that I know of though.

Thanks, Rahul.

# package-cleanup --leaves

only gives a list of packages, and, therefore, it seems that I have to
use 'yum remove' to remove them. Is there some way of automatically
feeding that list into the 'yum remove' command?

Paul